Thursday, December 10, 2009

Is it possible to be too excited?

Today after school I went shopping with my Mom for a dress to wear to the gala. In the ballet world, there's always an opening night gala. It's a fancy party after the performance where all the dancers get dressed up, and there are little itsy bitsy snacks, and people who can afford the pricey ticket (because essentially the whole evening is to raise money, even though they don't tell you that when they send you the fancy invitations), and silent auctions, and big accomplished well known ballet poeple are honored and they give speeches and it's a wonderful evening. So I went shopping for a dress to wear, and I ended up buying presents for my close Nutcracker friends, yet another tradition - everyone gives and receives presents opening night. It was the most time I'd spent with my Mom since Thanksgiving. This Nutcracker season is really close to my heart, so naturally when I get home I'm too excited to function. I managed to get through my homework, but honestly I couldn't have cared less about operant conditioning, taxes and economics, and the gender issues present in A Midsummer Night's Dream. These are things that I usually would have some sort of interest in, well at least the ap psych and ap lit homework, maybe not so much with the eco, but that's besides the point I think. I'm just sort of an excited hott mess (a phrase I picked up this past summer at Grey Wig) and Doug suggested I blog about it. I'm not even sure why I decided to do it. None of this is artistic or intellectual, and blogging about this certainly isn't helping - it's not calming me down - if anything it's making me even more excited. And the one thing I should be doing right now is sleeping, but I'm not. But at the same time, I'm scared to publish this post because I know that the minute I do, I'll be tempted to put the christmas music back on and dance around my room again, which will wake up my Mom whose sleeping right below my room. And I also don't want to walk away from my computer because my room is a mess from all the festive excitement and I'm really tempted to clean it up, but that too will be taking away from my sleep time. Then again, blogging is also taking away from my sleep time. I'm also scared of going to sleep because the sooner I go to sleep the sooner the morning will come, and time is flying by and I don't want this December to be over. I'm really scared above and beyond anything else of this December ending. I'm scared of finding out what it's going to feel like to have a six-year relationship with a company and a ballet come to an end. I've thought about it, but I'm scared to live it. But meanwhile all of this is coming from excitement and jittery-ness and the need to just talk and talk and talk. I hope none of you actually took the time to read this. It was an unsuccessful attempt to calm myself down, but now I'm even more excited and worked up. And it's almost midnight. I feel like I'm going to turn into a pumpkin soon or something.

3 comments:

  1. I read it. Did you end up cleaning your room again?

    Good post - your blog is exactly for things like this. The relationship with the ballet company is important, and things like that will come and go throughout your working life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm just sort of an excited hot mess" ---yepp pretty much
    I really like this post, I always wonder what goes on in a persons head as they experience a real sugar rush...hmm intellectual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hott mess <3 i found a song called hott mess by cobra starship i think? its actually really good ahah

    and i love this post. if i were in your position i would be scared shitless. then again, we can sort of relate this to our senior year except your experiences in the 6 years at eglevsky were obviously different and prob more fun. 12 years in Herricks UFSD and next year will be the first year since we were in pre-k that we won't be going to a herricks school, see herricks kids, see the same teachers and subs, see hallways, classrooms, old lockers...

    scary right?

    ReplyDelete