Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My first Maine post

I've been in Maine for over a week and so much has happened. It's absolutely beautiful here. We're 100 yards from the Beach, so on a sunny day it's really great to take a short walk down to the water and walk along the sand. But yesterday it rained. And it was the most beautiful thunderstorm I've ever witnessed. In NY when it rains, I get disappointed. But here, there was something so beautiful, comforting, and extremely romantic about the rain and thunder. I didn't mind going outside because the sound of the fat raindrops hitting the pavement, the roof of the buildings, and the tops of cars mixed with the intermittent thunder claps was like music. It was so quiet in town. It was cozy. I think I might like it better when it rains. Or maybe it's just the fact that it's been so beautifully sunny and not humid that the rain seemed like a special treat. Actually, as I'm writing this, sitting on my bed, I just heard the sound of thunder from outside my window. I hope it rains again today. To go outside on the porch and watch the rain while eating lunch would be wonderful.

But I'm not here to fantasize about the rain. I'm here to act. As much as I love music rehearsals, and choreographing the show, my favorite rehearsals have been those dedicated to the scene work, the characters, and the acting. The ease in which I am able to relate to this character, only makes my job that much more fun. We have so much in common, Luisa and I, and I'm finding more and more in common with each rehearsal. Just thinking about how much fun it is to play her makes me want to cry. Part of me wishes that we had more than two weeks of rehearsal time because I want to dig deeper, but at the same time I know that I have a month long run and I will be making discoveries every night in front of a live audience, and that is exciting.

But, as usual, hard work doesn't come free. After only being here for a few days my left foot started bothering me and when the pain didn't go away I decided to get it checked out, only to be told that I have tendonitis. Rest isn't really in the cards for me right now, but I'm trying to stay off of it as much as possible, icing it, and keeping it wrapped up. Although it still hurts, it definitely feels better, so I must be doing something right. Additionally, my voice is exhausted. Singing high B's and C's isn't the easiest task. But I'll be okay. I'm forcing myself not to talk whenever possible and drinking a weird apple cider vinegar concoction that has worked for me before. Once again, I'm being reminded of the fact that my body is my instrument and I've gotta respect it in order to expect it to perform at the highest of standards.

But one of the hardest parts about this whole thing is how much I miss a special someone at home. I knew this wouldn't be easy, and I was right. I find that I'm already counting down the weeks until school starts (less than 9 weeks now) and it isn't because I'm not enjoying myself here. I love rehearsals and the people I'm working with are all so nice and fun to be around. I just wish he could be here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment