Friday, September 30, 2011

Brisket, kugel, and apples with honey

For a while now I've had a very clear opinion about religion and where I stand on it. The religious aspect and belief in God doesn't do anything special for me but the cultural and traditional aspect of celebrating the Jewish holidays has always been something I enjoy. I like the food, I like the yearly tradition of gathering together with family and friends and spending a meal together. Sometimes, I even like to reflect on what the holidays are about and what they are celebrating. But never before have I ever felt like I would be lost without it. The past few days have been interestingly emotional for me. I didn't go home for Rosh Hashana dinner. I didn't go home last year either and I never thought anything of it. But suddenly this year it seemed like all my Jewish friends at school were going home or going to a friend's house and I found myself alone when everyone else was celebrating. Now of course I could have gone home if I had thought ahead and made the plans with my parents to come get me but I didn't want to miss my ballet class and at the time it just didn't even cross my mind. I felt weird and awfully conflicted. I really wanted my Mom's brisket and chicken noodle soup and kugel. I never experienced any kind of homesickness before and as a Sophomore in college I felt pathetic that I wanted to go home so badly. I'm going home next weekend and my mom said she'll make me a real, good home cooked meal. I can't wait. And I guess I have a new respect for what home means to me. Ever since I went off to school I never wanted to go home, I loved being here and whenever I was home I couldn't wait to get back. Not that I'm enjoying my time at school any less than I did last year, I can just appreciate how special it is to have a home to go back to.

So what did I do on one of the most holy days of the Jewish year? I went to ballet class, watched Jerome Robbins Something to Dance About, which was fabulous, had a really interesting practice session in the practice rooms, and ate some apples with honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment