Thursday, September 22, 2011

My new favorite musical

Lately I've found myself listening to Broadway's The Lion King whenever I'm in my room. I've found a new love for this beautiful piece of art. While all theater is considered art, this particular show is special. The design of the show makes it look like one giant, 3-D, moving painting that I could sit in front of for two hours and be utterly transfixed. I saw it on Broadway when I was younger and last weekend during a musical theater workshop we watched a clip from their Tony performance, inspiring my new obsession with it. First of all the music is fabulous: the melodies, the harmonies, the blending of African and English to tell the classic story. Even listening to the songs in my dorm room in Staten Island, I am transported to another place. A more exotic place, a hotter climate, and a more wild surrounding. The costumes and giant puppet concept transports the audience to a magical land where the African dessert and animal survival meet Disney morals and childhood stories. And the dancing... let's just say that I had the opportunity to learn the choreography for "The Lioness Hunt" a few years ago and it was one of the most freeing and fun pieces of choreography I've ever learned. I want to see it again, now that I'm older and have a more sophisticated appreciation of live theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment