Sunday, November 1, 2009

Quick response to interview with Nimrod Antal

I was listening to an interview with Nimrod Antal, director of the movie Kontrol and something that he said stood out to me.

"Hungary was a great place for me at that time. I made a lot of mistakes there"

A lot of times we get caught up in perfection. But perfection isn't the key. If a director who made a movie as fabulous as Kontrol can admit that he made mistakes while shooting the film, then how can we expect ourselves to be flawless? It puzzles me. But we all do it.

Today I took a workshop in the city. It was an acting and vocal workshop focused around college auditions. I learned a lot. A point that the acting teacher stressed to us at the end of the workshop was that we are in the luckiest place in our lives. We're young, we've only been around for 17 years or so. People don't expect us to know everything about technique or theater or acting. They don't even expect us to know a lot. That being said, that doesn't mean we should use it as an excuse to be lazy and avoid information and avoid the chance to learn. But we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves to expect perfection.

She's a bad singer, and her lyrics aren't good, and the only reason she's famous is because of her father and great marketing team...but even Hannah Montana talks about mistakes: "Nobody's perfect, I've gotta work it, Again and again til I get it right."

We all talk about accepting mistakes and getting perfection out of our minds.. easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment