Tuesday, January 26, 2010

2 down.. 7 to go

I just had my first two college auditions.. Saturday was Marymount and today was NYU.

It's interesting - going on auditions. I feel like we put "audition" on some type of pedestal. But if you're going to go into this as a profession, you've either got to build an elevator from the ground up to that pedestal or take the pedestal away and put "audition" on the same level as you. My parents keep saying that this is practice for the rest of my life. My Dad says that he knows I'll be fine because I always come home with a huge smile on my face after an audition. I find it fun. I mean, today I got to dance for an hour, then I performed my 2 monologues for a professor who was really nice and supportive, and then we chatted in my "interview" about my experiences and about theatre in a global setting, then I sang a full song and a 32-bar cut of two songs that I really like to sing, and then chatted with another really nice professor about my vocal training and all that jazz. It was fun. If you like theater, doesn't that sound like a day from heaven? Now I know, you don't always run into people who are so nice and supportive, but I feel like.. everyone's human. We're all people, and we all just wanna do what we love and share it with others. When thinking about auditions, there's this expectation that we put on ourselves that we have to be perfect, and we have to act a certain way and say everything grammatically correct, but I actually don't think that we have to do all that. I feel like it's much better to watch a person be a real live person than be someone going on an audition. We all prepare, and prepare, and prepare but sometimes I think that too much preparation gets you stuck. At my Marymount audition they had me do my monologue three times. The first time I just did it, then the second time and third time they gave me different ways to try it and play with it. When I did my monologue today, it felt so much different - in a good way. I had made all these choices right? In my whole preparation, I had done what an actress is supposed to do making choices, bla bla bla, but after trying it a different way, which isn't necessarily the "right" way, it loosened me up. I think I was stuck in my choices, and my Marymount audition got me out of that. It loosened the lid and let pandora's box come out. It's kind of hard to put into words, but that's why we act, right? To say things that we can't necessarily put into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment