Sunday, March 21, 2010

Theater traditions

My mom is the theater arts director at the Sid Jacobson JCC in East Hills and she produces five or six shows a year. Every year I choreograph the show for the 3rd-5th grade group. This year we did Grease. Interesting choice for kids who don't understand much about sex, pregnancy, and cigarettes. Anyway, today before their final performance, I was in the dance studio with all the kids and this one little girl Paulina starts gathering all the kids together in a circle. I've known Paulina since she was five years old. She's now a fifth grader. I used to do all the summer stock shows at the JCC, so I've worked with her a lot. Before shows, it was always a summer stock tradition to shake it out, do the hokie pokie, and pass the pulse. Similar to the High School traditions that we do every year before the show. So Paulina starts gathering all the kids together to do the traditional warm ups. I was so proud to see that my group of friends and I had left behind some sort of legacy doing shows there, that was now being passed on to a new group of kids. It was really cool. We taught them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment