Monday, September 14, 2009

Dancing Painters

Every time I paint or draw abstractly I continue to find myself so surprised with how calming it can be. Especially when music is added to the scene. With my obsession with dance and the experience I had painting today, I was reminded of the Olympics in China however many years ago and the opening ceremonies they had. There was one thing when they had a huge canvas displayed in the middle of the stadium and various dancers dressed in black unitards came up with some type of ink attatched to their hands and feet and they danced on the canvas and in the end what they created was so beautiful not only in the language of dance but also on the canvas itself.

In psychology we talk about how everything is interconnected, and we talk about that in STAC as well. It blows my mind how true it is. I took physics last year and I absolutely loved it (surprisingly) and I've been wondering how I can apply what I learn to my jumps and turns as a dancer - technically speaking.

One of my ballet teachers, Ali Pourfaffokh often explains that when we dance we have to draw on our canvas, also known as the stage. We make lines and circles and they have to be exactly so or else the picture can't be veiwed correctly.

I think the interconnectedness is cool.

3 comments:

  1. THis is cool. You are reaching a new level. You need to look at the work of Martha Graham - are you familiar with her work in a deep way or simply in a passing way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few of her pieces and honestly, I wasn't impressed with what I saw. Although, this was quite a few years ago (I think I was 14 or 15) and it was a tapped version. It wasn't live. I also don't like the Graham technique and "plumbing." I took a Graham class last year and really disliked it.

    But I have read some quotes by her and I love what she stands for and how she thinks about art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny, I was wondering the other day if your fluent dance moves are connected in some way with your watercolor talent. Interesting subject!

    ReplyDelete