Saturday, September 19, 2009

My version of Child in a Red

Every day for a year she has danced through the streets of her town
In a little red dress and patent leather shoes
Clicking-clacking on the old cobble stones
She waves to the people she passes
They don't know her
And she doesn't know them
But still they watch her everyday
And wonder when she will grow too big to fit into that little red dress.



I completely fell in love with the poem, Child in a Red. When I rewrote it, I twisted it around so much that the story of the little girl intertwined with the story of my childhood and I became the little girl wearing the red dress. If any of you knew me when I was younger, this poem completely describes the way I acted. You should all read Zach Torres' version of this poem. It is the exact opposite of mine and when he showed it to me during class I was so intrigued by the differences in our interpretations. It's like when we talk about viewing art. We all see art differently because of what we are bringing to the table based on our own lives and past experiences. I was a little girl ten years ago. I had a dress that I wore all the time. It was my signiture dress. My Mom used to have to sneak it from me in order to wash it because I wore it every day, every season. That is what I'm bringing to the original version of the poem when I read it. Zach is bringing something different and it shows in what we each wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment