Sunday, February 21, 2010

Birds eye view, death and dying.

I had my audition up in Fredonia this weekend, so my Dad and I flew up to Buffalo and then drove to Fredonia. I find flying absolutely fascinating. Seeing the world from that view, so high up in the sky is thrilling. Seeing the tiny cars and houses and everything from up above. I was sitting in the window seat so I just looked outside for the take off and landing. It's amazing how little time it takes: one minute your on the runway, and not too long after that your soaring through the clouds and then you can look out the window and see the fluffy white things far below you.

I also decided on my quest project this week. I want to have a fundraiser or fundraisers to raise money for the American Cancer Society in memory of my cousin Sandi. Talk about a life well lived. My cousin touched so many people and changed to many lives in the 50-something years she had on earth. It's something inspiring and humbling. She's a celebrity but not in the sense of paparazzi and national fame, but in the sense of being a town hero. Teacher of the year awards. Hometown hero awards. You name it, she did it. On the last day of class, every year, she would give all her seniors a poster with life lessons on it. One of her students posted it on the facebook page dedicated to her.
TEN SUGGESTIONS FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE:
1. Realize that life isn't always fair. Accept what you must, and change what you can.
2. Think before you act. A moment of carelessness or anger can cause years of anguish and regret.
3. Look for the beauty in life, in nature, in people, and in yourself.
4. Appreciate what you have: the people, the opporunities, the material possessions.
5. Make the effort to have fun: it's a great way to bond with others, and it makes some of the best memories.
6. Set aside time for yourself. Do something you enjoy without feeling even a little guilty.
7. Accept others without judgement. Everyone is unique, and it's okay to be different.
8. Forgive. Bitterness and resentment hurt you more than the person you direct them at.
9. Learn. Open your mind to new ideas and activities and don't be affraid to try.
10. Dream. Make plans, believe in yourself, and go for what you want.

It's interesting that I should be thinking about flying and the sky and all that and also be thinking about my cousin and passing away and death and dying. There's this idea of heaven. I don't believe in God and I don't believe in the idea of a physical heaven, but I guess there is something to say about finding comfort in the idea of people looking down on loved ones once they've passed on.

3 comments:

  1. I love this blog post beck! And I love your Quest idea! It reminded me of an idea I came up with a couple of months ago for JNF. I wanted to organize a walk-fundraiser (similar to the jones beach walk for breast cancer) to raise money for Israel. I really like the 10 suggestions, too. I have learned how important those suggestions are.

    Love,
    mish =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your well written piece. Many of us unfortunately have read horror stories about the funeral business. Regrettably there are companies selling cremation urns online which are not much more reputable. While they spend lavish amounts of money on web sites dripping with sympathy – many of these companies are nothing more than a site that drop ships product. Beware of sellers that do not have a physical address or the names of the principals of the company on the site – what are they hiding from? I had an issue with a company called Perfect Memorials ( Perfectmemorials.com ) and there was no one from the company that would talk to me. While I could call to order an urn – I could not speak to an owner or manager over the phone – they insisted that we only communicate via email. An evasive tactic if I ever saw one! Perfect Memorials is really a company that invested heavily in the web – but puts very little into the human contact part of the funeral/memorial industry. I would be careful of Perfectmemorials.com and others like them.

    ReplyDelete