Thursday, February 4, 2010

Crazy theater people

Tonight I was tired and not really up for practicing, but I knew I had to so I went about doing it anyway. When I finished one of my songs I started telling my Mom how I felt tired and weak because I was tired but that I wanted to continue just to go through everything since I have an audition next a week. My Aunt is in from California and she shouts down the stairs "you sound great!" Well naturally, I flip out. "AGHH!!!! What? I hate when people do that. I feel like crap. I sound like crap, don't tell me I sound good when I sound bad. Tell me I sound bad." (After I finished practicing I appologized to her and we had a nice little chat about your own perception versus audience perception but anyway...)

Nobody is ever going to be at the top of their game. I was pleased with my practice session tonight because I knew it was the best I could do with my tired self, but frustrated because I know I've done it a million times better before. We do this all the time. People compliment us and we say "no I sucked." If I get a compliment after a performance, no matter how I feel it went, I just take the compliment and say thank you. But if I'm rehearsing and I know it wasn't good, I don't like when people tell me it was. I feel like, I can do so much better so I don't want people thinking that my not so great run through of something is the best I got. Because it's not.

1 comment:

  1. (After I finished practicing I appologized to her and we had a nice little chat about your own perception versus audience perception but anyway...)

    Oh, you kid, you!

    ReplyDelete