Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jim Bonney workshop #3

What a day! I love this workshop more and more. And I really love the people in it. What went on in the workshop today is secured and understood to be confidential among those who were in the workshop. I will not break that trust. We exercised our emotional lives today. Well we do that every time we meet, but today we really dug into it. It felt good to be supported and to support the other members of my group. I am proud of each and every one of us for being as brave as we were today. Some of us are braver than others, and that's okay. What matters is that each individual is taking giant leaps towards their personal idealized sense of bravery.

Today's song was "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls:

"And I'd give up forever to touch you
Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything seems like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am"

This song really hit home for a lot of us. And I know that each of us brings different meanings to it. I brought a different meaning this year, from the last time we did this workshop about a year ago. The lines "Cause sooner or later it's over/I just don't wanna miss you tonight" really stood out for me personally. And that's because of the context that I'm bringing to it.

So often we make the assumption that other people won't understand what we're going through. But something that I got from today's workshop is that those assumptions aren't true. There are so many people in this world, who all have so many different experiences, that there are people out there who go through the same exact things that you do. And even if you don't know what it's like to go through something, you can still support them. There's a whole world of people out there just waiting to support you. The world can be a cruel place, but I think that deep down inside of us there's a desire to connect. To reach out to somebody. To support somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment